Analysis Fact Sheets – cell phone ownership within the United Stated
Smartphone ownership when you look at the United Stated has increased as time passes 1 including among gay, bisexual, as well as other males who possess intercourse with males (MSM)2. Smartphone geosocial-networking applications (“apps”) are generally utilized among MSM to meet up sexual lovers 3,4. Increased use of smart phones together with the typical usage of apps to get intimate lovers led CDUHR investigator Dr. Dustin Duncan and their collaborators to analyze the relationships between app use and intimate health among MSM.
Characterizing App Utilize
Among an example of young black colored MSM living in Gulfport, Mississippi; Jackson, Mississippi; and brand New Orleans, Louisiana, 76% utilized apps. People who utilized apps reported their most frequently utilized apps as Jack’d (69.8%) followed closely by Adam4Adam (41.5%) and Grindr (35.9%). Individuals utilized on average 8.2 apps that are different invested on average 2.1 hours in the apps daily. The average number of “app-met partners” with whom they engaged in insertive intercourse was 1.19; almost one third of the encounters were condomless although a minority (17%) used apps to seek sexual partners. Additionally, over one fourth of participants had been unacquainted with the HIV status of these app-met lovers. High amounts of condomless lack and sex of knowing of partners’ HIV status warrant research of intimate risk using among app-using MSM 5.
Contextualizing App Utilize</p>
Intimate risk among software making use of MSM had been examined making use of a test of 174 app-using MSM in new york. The research addressed 6 contextual factors linked to app usage and investigated the partnership between these facets and condomless sexual intercourse. A majority (63.2%) utilized apps when experiencing unfortunate, whenever alcohol that is using51.1%) so when utilizing any medications (25.9%). Individuals had been more prone to participate in both insertive and receptive sex that is condomless apps had been getting used when making use of any medications or when working with apps for transactional sexual encounters 6.
Fighting HIV through App Utilize
Apps show their possible effectiveness among scientists and medical care providers trying to reduce steadily the danger of HIV among MSM. Among an example of 169 MSM that is app-using in, 63.9% reported willingness to make use of apps for HIV avoidance, and specifically apps to serve as reminders for HIV assessment. Willingness to utilize apps for HIV prevention ended up being greater those types of reporting current binge consuming and club drug use 7 that is recent.
Current geosocial-networking applications have been completely utilized to produce HIV-related interventions 8 and also have the prospective to be utilized for other health that is MSM substance usage, intimate partner physical physical violence, and intimate danger taking. App-based intimate wellness interventions focusing on MSM must be developed, provided MSM’s willingness to make use of apps for HIV prevention.
- Pew Research Center. Social media marketing Utilize Will Continue To Increase in Developing Nations, but Plateaus Around Developed Ones. 2018 june. http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/06/15135408/Pew-Research-Center_Global-Tech-Social-Media-Use_2018.06.19.pdf. Accessed 24 Sept 2018.
- Grov C, Ventuneac mexican women dating A, Rendina HJ, Jimenez RH, Parsons JT. Perceived need for five various medical issues for homosexual and bisexual males: Implications for brand new instructions in wellness training and avoidance. American Journal of Men’s Wellness. 2013;7(4):274-284.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Geosocial-networking app usage habits of homosexual, bisexual, along with other males who’ve intercourse with males: Survey among users of grindr, a mobile relationship app. JMIR Public Wellness andSurveillance. 2015; 1(1):e4.
- Queiroz, Artur Acelino Francisco Luz Nunes, de Sousa, Бlvaro Francisco Lopes, de Araъjo, Telma Maria Evangelista, de Oliveira, Francisco Braz Milanez, Moura MEB, Reis RK. Overview of risk behaviors for HIV infection by males that have intercourse with guys through geosocial networking phone apps. Journal associated with the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care.2017;28(5):807-818.
- Duncan DT, Park SH, Hambrick HR, et al. Characterizing geosocialnetworking software use among young black colored men who’ve intercourse with males: A multi-city survey that is cross-sectional the southern usa. JMIR mHealth and uHealth. 2018;6(6):e10316.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Contextual facets in geosocial-networking smartphone application usage and engagement in condomless anal sex among gay, bisexual, along with other males who possess intercourse with men whom use grindr. Intimate Wellness. 2016;13(6):549-554.
- Goedel WC, Mitchell JW, Krebs P, Duncan DT. Willingness to make use of cellular phone apps for HIV prevention among men who’ve intercourse with guys in London: Web-based study. JMIR uHealth and mHealth. 2017; 5(10):e15.
- Cao B, Gupta S, Wang J, Hightow-Weidman LB, Muessig KE, Tang W, Pan S, Pendse R, Tucker JD. Social media marketing Interventions to advertise HIV Testing, Linkage, Adherence, and Retention: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Med Online Res. 2017;19(11):e394.
For more information, contact Dustin Duncan at email@example.com
This work ended up being supported by NIDA (P30DA011041, PIs: Deren & Hagan); My Brother’s Keeper, Inc; Wilfred L and Ruth SF Peltz Research Scholarship, granted through the newest York University College of Arts and Science Dean’s Undergraduate Research Fund (PI: William C Goedel); and ny University class of Medicine Start-Up analysis Fund.
The guts for Drug utilize and HIV analysis (CDUHR) is definitely an interdisciplinary research center that focuses on public health conditions linked to HIV, hepatitis C, and medication use.
Center for Drug utilize and HIV Research NYU university of worldwide Public wellness 665 Broadway, 11th Floor New York , NY 10012
Mobile: 212.992.6741 Fax: 212.995.4877 E-MAIL